Sunday, May 27, 2018

Anger, Anxiety And Community

I watched the tv series HOARDERS for a few seasons, I was totally fascinated. When I was pretty young and just in my first apartment I had some elderly neighbors and they asked me to help them with something one day. I went into their apartment and they had newspapers stacked to their ceiling in every room. The smell of newsprint was wild and I had to sort of shimey in between the stacks to get to their kitchen. I had no idea there was a thing called hoarding or pack rat. I remember thinking...wow they really must be into the news. And it was funny because I was in a Journalism program at the time and pretty obsessed with writing and news myself. I had no words or any way to put into context what I saw in their apartment. One thing I have learned about hoarders is that it is almost impossible for them to have a well-adjusted intimate relationship. And another thing I have learned is that hoarders generally seemed to have unresolved anger. One of the explanations for hoarding is anxiety. And anxiety is another word and is related to anger....so I suppose that makes some sense. I recently watched the four part documentary called EVIL GENIUS on Netflix. It is about the law enforcements challenge to solve what tabloids had called "pizza bomber" back in 2003. I highly recommend this documentary. Near the beginning law enforcement creates a profile of the murderer of a man allegedly forced to commit a bank heist. And that profile is spot-on. As we get more and more introduced to suspects they all have something in common....they are hoarders. During the documentary I felt an odd mix of excitement watching the law enforcement interviews juxtaposed with fits of uncomfortable humour finding out about a group of people who seemed to have found each other and built an odd community. Another portrait of cultural collapse and how childhood wounds unresolved break down the brain as well as community. Again, I hope you watch this one as this is a fantastic doc and a 10/10. #evilgenius

2 comments:

David H Kelly said...

Hey Candy: If you keep all your passwords does that count as hoarding?

Unknown said...

Hire today language translators to get professional French language translation services. Establish your presence in international market with winsome translators.

generated by sloganizer.net