Sunday, January 27, 2008

Solaris. Dream, Heaven or Mirror?


Based on Polish science fiction novel by Stanslaw Lem, Solaris is a parable with magnificent cinematography exploring metaphysics.

Solaris was a critical and popular success at it's release from Russia in 1972, nominated for PalmD'Or at Cannes. It's difficult to imagine that a movie like this would be made today but easy to imagine how it would lose in the box office and with critics. Not only is it a very long long movie, 3 hours, but what audience today cares about the origins of human thought, the nature of reality...with slow languid film making? I hadn't seen Tarkovsky's Solaris in a number of years so I was excited to find it on IFC and watch it with Stagg. We took a break during the movie...it did feel long. It also felt like an exotic departure from movies in general.

Could this same object made with actors, film, light and props be at all related to the same craft as American Gangster or There Will Be Blood?


The Hunters IN The Snow by Pieter Bruegel. I love art work in movies...and I love it when the rare event occurs that the art work becomes a character in a movie. The camera travels over this painting for a minute during the movie (oh I can hear audience groans right now ha ha). Actually life-size reproductions of the series Months were featured in the film.

Can you recall art work being placed significantly in a movie?

2 comments:

thehealingroom said...

Hi Candy.

I noticed is I Am Legend that he had many works by masters in his apartment. Presumably he could go to the museum and take whatever he liked.

Anonymous said...

I every time emailed this website post page to all my friends,
for the reason that if like to read it after that my
contacts will too.

Take a look at my blog post :: cash advances no credit check

generated by sloganizer.net