Sunday, July 20, 2008

Behind the Scenes of Blood Meridian

For Underground Baker, Mister Anchovy and Portuguese translator, Paulo....

There is an awful lot of material about the southwest and I read over 300 volumes over a period of 3 or 4 years when I was working on Blood Meridian. The first person accounts were the ones that interested me............all of these books are packed away. I'll just jot down a few titles as they come to me...... The Texas Santa Fe Expedition - Kendall..... The Doniphan Expedition -Hughes....... Adventures in Apache Country... Browne...... On the Border with Crook.... Adventures in Mexico (a classic) .... The Border and the Buffalo - (cook)... Savage Scene- Mcgaw....Lt Emory's Notebooks.... Gregg's Commerce iof the Prairies... Life Among the Apaches- Cremony... Bartlett's Account of the Boundary Expedition.... Wildlife in the Far West by? ... There is an account of Glanton in a book called Led and Likker; another in Yuma Crossing..... If you want to read about the Judge, read Chamberlain's My Confession, but with a grain of salt."

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I bet those first person sources are very interesting books!

Candy Minx said...

Yes...the letter in this post is not from a magazine, it is an excerpt a fan received from McCarthy...wondering what kind of research he did to write the novel. Cool huh?

generated by sloganizer.net