Thursday, November 19, 2009

Schitzo TV


How can I love two shows that seem so completely at odds with each other? I love love Californication starring David Duchovny. ...which has some of the funniest lines delivered perfectly one can find on tv. My friend Tim says of Duchovny playing sex addict, shithead lost boy writer..."Yep, he really is the asshole you always wanted Fox Mulder to be". At the same time as season 3 Californication reaches new heights of depravity and sexual content vh1 has begun a season of Dr. Drew's Sex Rehab. Dr.Drew's show is absolutely addictive. I think I need rehab from being addicted to his reality shows. One program is hilarious and hip...the other has hip people but tragic and both shows are propelled by the same patterns of behaviour.

Process addiction is an addiction to an activity or process, such as eating, spending money, or gambling. These addictive behaviors can be as debilitating as those associated with substance addictions, and they require psychological treatment. People sometimes have difficulty understanding process addictions, because they believe that people should just be able to stop negative behavior, but people with process addictions face the same problems that people with substance addictions do. from here

Californication is hilarious, dirty and is everything the stereotypes of California we've come to think of. Duchovy and the other actors are terrific. Kathleen Turner is on this season and she kicks ass. She blows away William Shatner's character on Boston Legal. She is kin d of like some sex crazy Hunter S. Thompson. I'd love to see a fantasy show with her and Shatner's characters hooking up. You can laugh your ass off to Californicatin...it always feels like maybe it's going to be okay...it's hip funny and with a soundtrack loosely informed by the lyrics and music of Warren Zevon at times. Steve Earle is on soundtrack covering one of Zevon's songs.

Meanwhile Dr. Drew's Sex Rehab is a mess of heartbreaking childhood mameories, of beautiful people damaged and spoiled and torn up by craving love and affection disquised as sex. It doesn't feel like everything is going to be okay. I admire several of the people who have allowed themselves to be filmed in this process of therapy. I don't even know if they realize how profoundly generous they are to those of us who are obsessed with their journey and like me, hope they come out the other side. I find myself wishing I could hug a few of the celebrities who have half dead arrived on the steps of this recovery facility. There are a couple of the patients who have really touched me and I am so involved in finding out how they do...One is a drummer from Skid Row Phil Varone. Two of the women are former adult movie stars, Kendra Jade Rossi and Jennifer Ketchum. They are beautiful and sad and their habits are ruining their lives. Amber Smith is a heart breaker...she was on one of the previous Dr. Drew seasons for substance abuse, got clean, and then found out she was also a sex addict. Something about Amber just moves you...she seems so vulnerable and you feel like you just want to keep her safe. And then there is the pro surfer...who is wild, crazy and funny...but tragic, Jamie Lovett. And one of the most touching people is film director Duncan Roy. His family history and his odd British humour make him a totally intriquing person.

Some of the songs featured in Californications's soundtrack...



6 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

Not aware of any of this in the UK. I'll check out SKY to see if we've got any yet.

Duchovny was something of a hero of mine in X-Files....mainly 'cause he could have shagged Gillian Anderson...;-)

I seem to recall he went into rehab for sex addiction?

Talk about art imitating life eh?

Candy Minx said...

Oh I think you would like this program 4 Dins. He's like Homer Simpson to the power of 10.

Fnord said...

Californication is one of my favs. It's freakin' awesome!

tweetey30 said...

Now I know why I dont watch reality shows.. Yikes.. Just not into them..

Gardenia said...

I like your post on this! The contrast. Part of the reason I've enjoyed Nip/Tuck is Christian - so obviously addicted - he knows it - everyone else does - but he keeps on going. I've missed the last few shows with that one too. Don't know why I've been so busy. Yep, if there is one addictive process going on, you can almost bet there's more. It's a life long process to heal in order to walk away from compulsive behaviors. I watched one of the reality shows - brave souls. I forget they are on, and then the next day, I remember I missed them....

Oil and Vinegar said...

I watch Californication and it makes me nauseous and happy at the same time. I mean who could not be fascinated by Rick Springfield playing a talented sexual something and Kathleen Turner's foul mouth? It's hard to believe she's the same woman that was in "Body Heat" and that other one with Michael Douglass...Thank you, Candy. This made my day.

generated by sloganizer.net