Saturday, June 12, 2010

Work Of Art


Bravo Channel has another great idea for a tv show...following the terrific shows Top Chef and Project Runway....now they have Work Of Art. Stagg and i watched the first episode last week and we are hooked. About 20 artists are competing for a solo show...with limited budget of time and money. It's a lot of fun! We wondered who the host was going to be and it turns out to be China Chow. China Chow is the daughter of Michael Chow and Tina Chow: She is an actress and art fan/collector and she makes a great host. She was also in one of my favourite tv shows Burn Notice. It was pretty cool to see the judges try to sort out strong art work, and how apparent the work which was strong to the weak came across easily on tv.


I was always fascinated by China Chow's mother...Tina Chow. In the same way that Linsay Lohan or Anjelina Jolie are hot photo ops...Tina Chow was a mafgazine girl for me in the 1980's...here with artists Warhol and Basquiat. Tina Chow was also the first heterosexual woman to come public with HIV positive status. She died in the 90's.


I really enjoyed the premise of this tv show...so far it's every bit as fun, juicy and interesting as Top Chef and Project runway...but Ross Bleckner disagrees......yeah...I guess having artists produce strong work in a matter of 12 hours would threaten the idea that artists have to suffer to make good work...I call bullshit...and so does this tv show!

6 comments:

Gardenia said...

Tina is exotically beautiful as is her daughter! Sounds like a good show - I will look for it.

Some of what I think is my best art is that which I hurried through for that last art show - and I started a portrait tonight of an Indian woman and am halfway at least done with it. Even while painting and asking her what she wants to tell me.

Bloggerboy said...

The mother reminds me a bit of the young Lena Olin.

mister anchovy said...

I think I've reached my fill of reality contest shows. I can't even watch the cooking ones anymore. However, I'm reminded of a time many years ago, when CITY TV was just starting out, that Wild Bill Ronald had a tv show called Free for All. If my memory serves me well, he did some live paintings on stage...

Beej said...

I've lost touch with just about all the reality shows but i might give this one a try, Man, those are gorgeous women. I hadn't heard of Tina Chow but am sorry to hear she died of that horrid disease.

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you an assistant production staff for Burn Notice contacted our office because they want to use our magazine as a prop in some of the episodes?

My brush with Hollywood LOL

-andy

Anonymous said...

KA-BLAM !!!! That's more than just a Hollywood Brush!!

STAGG

generated by sloganizer.net