Sunday, December 02, 2007
I want to beat Guy Kawasaki to Technorati Top Ten!
I haven't lost yet...which means...there is still time for me to win!
Some visitors might remember that 2 years ago I had been reading some marketing blogs and came across Guy Kawasaki's blog. He started blogging when I did...and I started reading his blog and he was talking about Technorati. I didn't have a clue what Technorati was then, but he wanted to be in the top 10 Technorati rank...say like KOS or Arianna Huffington.
I decided on my blog...that I was going to try to beat Guy Kawasaki to the Technorati top ten.
I made a portrait of Guy Kawasaki to intimidate him and I re-read the Art of War...and began watching my stats on Technorati.
On March 31, 2007, my technorati rank was 2,258 and Guy Kawasaki's was 27.
A year earlier in April, 2006...this is what Guy Kawasaki had to say about Technorati ranking: Some people are perplexed (perhaps even dismayed) with my high level of interest (aka, "obsession") in my Technorati ranking. I provide several explanations to choose from:
a) I am a shallow, insecure person whose fragile ego must be externally fed by whatever validation I can find.
b) I'm a goal oriented person. If I were a quarterback, I would keep track of touchdowns. If I were a winger, I would keep track of goals. If I were a shooting guard, I would keep track of three pointers. I'm a blogger (partially), so I keep track of links.
c) Creating a link is a voluntary act. Presumably, the linker believes that the material is worth reading and therefore created the link. By extension, the more useful one's blog becomes, the more people will link to it. The more people link to it, the higher you rise in Technorati. Thus, your Technorati ranking is a measure of your meaningfulness.
d) I just love rankings.
Some Gnostic Minx Blog Stats today:
1) Actually, the Technorati top ten has changed in the past year proving it is a kind of organic entity. I was ranked 2,258...but now I am 162,356.
2) #1 sounded depressing until I realized Guy kawasaki's rank was also set back from changes within Technorati rank system. He dropped from #27 to #36.
3) This is post # 825. Sheesh, when did that happen?
4) I've had 36,327 visitors.
5) I've listed the Guy Kawasaki portrait 8 times on eBay.
6) Between April 11, 2007 and today there have been 1,374 comments left here.
7) One time, my blog got reviewed by this guy named "Lucky" who had a blog called Desert Odyssey. You can see how much he hated my blog on the link in my margins. He ranked blogs by camel humps and he gave me the lowest rank of all the blogs he reviewed. His Technorati rank is 2,124,856. Actually he quit blogging a few months ago saying his blog was dead. Why am I smiling so hard right now?
8) The Making of Kawasaki Krump portrait can be seen by clicking here...
9) Number of times some words have brought people here: gnostic 444 visitors, masterbation 114 visitors, meridian 131, rebirth 29, mccarthy 338, depression 73 visitors, and goth 27 visitors found this blog.
10) I've been tagged about half a dozen times since I began blogging. I am tagged now for Monday Morning and am afraid I'll forget...so here is the meme and link to help me remember.
11) "RT wrote an article on how to improve your Technorati rank at Untwisted Vortex. It's an ongoing experiment to see how well my blog's Technorati rank will improve by participating."
12) How To Improve your Blog Rank at Buck Naked Politics
Help me beat Guy Kawasaki to top ten rank in Technorati...and link my blog...please? If you are already linked with me, do you "PING" your blog regularily? Pinging your blog helps test whether your computer can communicate with another computer over the network. Then, if network communication is established, ping tests also determine the connection latency (technical term for delay) between the two computers. Here is a ping feature site...type in the name of your blog and the URL. I ping every day and every time I post something new.
You can PING Technorati directly at this page...and type in your blog URL.