Monday, June 09, 2008

Deer Looking At Lucas the Cat


A woman at one of my online book clubs had this picture on her blog this weekend, it just slayed me. So cute!


I've been reading Eugene Linden's The Octopus and the Orangutan: More True Tales of Animal Intrgue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity.

I have been laughing my head off...stories about a lab where every morning the biologists are wondering what happened to their animals and samples they had in tanks the day before. In the middle of the night one of the octopuses (aparently that is okay to say octopuses) crawled out of his tank and raided the other tanks. I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard. I could just see him in the morning "what?" twiddling his tentacles.

Did you know octopuses make several colours of ink and have neurons in each of their arms?

Read about an orangutan who picked the lock of his cage and escaped and when found and caught again had a wire tucked under his lip between his mouth and teeth. He had gotten the wire from bribing the overweight female gorilla in the next cage with food and she passed him the wire. The American League of Locksmiths made him an honourary member.

6 comments:

Gardenia said...

How fun! Animals are such an endless source of entertainment and amazement - this sounds like a delightful book -

Candy Minx said...

Yes they are! I love books of animal stories and actually...I prefer novels that have animals in them too.

tweetey30 said...

I couldnt comment the other day. I was having troubles with the word verification but its better now. This book does look good.

Jannie Funster said...

I'm not good at captioning but if you are I bet this photo would get on the front page of i can haz cheezeburger

--Jannie

* (asterisk) said...

Yeah, octopuses is correct; octopi is technically wrong, though commonly used. That's because the word octopus comes from the Greek, not the Latin.

Etymology is fun, right?

I like octopuses. I almost got one tattooed on me once. Still may someday.

Candy Minx said...

Jannie, good idea...Thanks! I'll let the blogger who took the pic know. It is really great isn't it?

Asterisk...see I shoukld have written you about octopuses...I was trying to find something about it. Everytime I read it I was like, well their editor and the writer are professional so they must know...but I never saw it before. Yes, etymology rocks!

generated by sloganizer.net