Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Chicago The New


We stopped into the Chicago Historical museum to see a retrospective of Ed Paschke, a local painter. I did not see so much of his stuff before and really loved his paintings from the last twenty years. (I didn't like his 80's paintings) He really got his groove on in the last twenty years. He died two years ago, and the museum had recreated his studio with his brushes and paints and collage sources. I got very choked up seeing his studio tools. It was too real. Felt sad to see his brushes there in a glass case.




Low Riders were invented in Chicago. Apparently, many modern items were invented in Chicago including Kraft dinner, Sears catalogue, Cracker Jacks, after Nazi's banned the Bauhaus movement, the designers were invited to Chicago, , Playboy magazine, testing the atomic bomb, Arts and Crafts Movement (Frank Llyod Wright) and my god, the birth control pill...which brings us right back to the Low Riders.



A very cool painting of President Lincoln who hails from Illinois. Can you see my reflection?



The actual bed Lincoln died in, and a painting of him dying in his bed. I found this touching. The bed was too small for Lincoln and he had to be laid in it diagonally.



Sorry about the gallery lights. I shouldn't even have been taking pics, but my flash was off. Close up of painting of Lincoln dying in his bed.


Did you know it's good luck to rub Lincoln's nose?

5 comments:

Minerva Jane said...

sounds like a great museum!
and happy new year candy--best wishes to you and stagg.

MJ

Pickled Olives said...

wonderful glimpse into this museum. Should I find myself in the area, I will be popping into this historical museum!

Amy Ruttan said...

Awesome pics, and I did see you in the reflection. I love most museums. Love the ROM in Toronto, especially the totem pole in the center.

If I ever see a Lincoln statue I'll make sure I rub his nose. Happy New Year!

Red said...

Cool pics!

I didn't know about Lincoln's nose (any Lincoln nose or that particular one?

Have you heard of Victor Noir?

* (asterisk) said...

Very naughty taking those pictures, but thanks!

generated by sloganizer.net