Monday, March 28, 2011

Bye Bye Baby


Here I am in a compfy chair reading Vanity Fair (great issue all articles excellent, Robert Pattison cover) and busking. We have a couple of chairs one borrowed from TVo and one we picked up at Winn-Dixie grocery store. You should see some of the comforts and equipment the other artists have for their busking in New Orleans, we are pretty rookie compared to the full time artists in New Orleans. This is our last day busking in the Jackson Square. Bittersweet...












I am always taking pics of Stagg and thought I better throwe one in here of me...ha in the rest room of O'Briens where I would run while buusking. Finding a public washroom is an issue when busking lol!

We celebrated our last day busking in the French Quarter by going to one of my very very favourite restaurants...Antoines where we got the cheapest bottle of wine we could and ordered up Oysters Rockerfeller (the place that created them over a hundred years ago) You can read about Antoine's Restaurant 1840 online...but until you hang out there and pig out it's all words. I've eaten here a half a dozen times over the years and its always heavenly, delicious with kind service...oh I love it here.



Staggs entree...

These are delicate potatoes that were fried and pop open sop they have a shape but are hollow inside and melt in your mouth...ahhhh....

This probably doesn't look as good in the photo as it tasted but it beef with wine sauce and I could eat ten plates of it! We had creme caramel for dessert or I did and Stagg had raspberry chocolate cake.

As we left the French Quarter that night we fell upon a brass band and people dancing in the streets. Stagg and I both got onion-eyed.

Antoine's is as I said one of my favourite restaurants EVER. We spent the next day exploring Magazine Street where Stagg bought a pedal for his bass at a cool music store. It's a Bootsy Collins Dog pedal. Awesome. And we window shopped and explored the Garden District. We had 2 dollar drinks at Ms. Mays and we had walked walked by a restaurant packed at noon called "The Rum House". It was just well not particularly special looking at first but the place was jammed. We decided we better walk back and eat supper there later. Oh my god. It was some of the best food I've ever eaten...kind of Caribean fusion...I don't know. I wanted to go back the next day but they didn't open till 5 and we would be long on our way by then...I did howeve phone them later to ask again what our soup was...it was Habenaro Duck Soup and it was deadly. Everything we ate was marvelous and if you go to New Orleans you MUST go to "The Rum House"...opened a year ago by two friends, one of whom I talked to on the phone while telling his how much I loved his food etc etc. The atmosphere grows on you with local art and conversations all rebounding. I will be obsessed about this place for the rest of my life as I am about Antoines.

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

So, where to next?

Candy Minx said...

Oh you'll see...we're using a diving rod and listening to the wind....
:)

Gardenia said...

Putting your recommendations in a notebook, because I never know where to go when there. BTW, I made rhubarb/strawberry pie and it wasn't even CLOSE to the deliciousness of yours.

generated by sloganizer.net