2) Klaus Nomi moved to America from Berlin in the 70's and became an avant garde performer during a mysterious florid time in New York City.
3) He sang like Maria Calas, and when people saw him perform, they had to be reminded that he was not lip syncing...his voice was so unusual. He was a singer and PERFORMANCE ARTIST
4) He taught himself to sing and to bake. His music was sci-fi high-voiced opera done to a slight pop beat.
5) He was an excellent pastry chef(he worked at the WTC, and then free-lanced)
6) At Max's Kansas City, Kenny Scharf was one of his go-go dancers.
7) He was friends with Scharf (neighbours actually), Keith Haring, Ann Magnuson and Jean-Michel Basquiat.
8) A documentary was made a couple years ago called The Nomi Song. We saw it last week and it is very good.
9) Ann Magnuson says she and Nomi used to watch All MY Children together.
10) Klaus Nomi's name is an anagram of the science magazie OMNI.
11) He performed on Saturday Night Live in 1979 with David Bowie.
12) Nomi was the first celebrity to die of AIDS, in 1983. People were so afraid of the horrifying unexplained "gay cancer" that many of his friends did not see him at his deathbed.
13) Malcolm McLaren's dance opera version of Madame Butterfly was a huge hit one year after Nomi's death. B-52's, raves, techno, Nine Inch Nails, Bowie, Culture Club, Madonna, Marilyn Manson all owe props to him...in fact, if Klaus Nomi had survived even a year longer to appear in videos on MTV...I probably wouldn't be writing this Thursday Thirteen about him, he would have been a household name.
(oops...since my template has been updated..."mister linky" is on the fritz...I'll add you here if you leave a comment until I figure out how to get "mister linky" to work)
:) Thanks for stopping by!
1) Tempest Knight, 2) Karen, 3) Single Parents Unite, 4) Joystory, 5) Christine D'Abo, 6) Amy Ruttan, 7) Ed, 8) Jordan Stratford 9) Carmen, 10 Thomma Lynn,/li>, 11 Art by Diana Obe, 12 Matthew.