Sunday, December 17, 2006

I Like To Watch

Watched Hollywood fluff, Hostage starring Bruce Willis last night. It is worth it for the openng credits which totally rock. Sexy title sequence. The movie was super slick and very tense and I enjouyed every tense moment of the story. The house where all the action takes place is stunning, the camera work is fantastic as was the editing and the music so complelling. If you feel like an escape movie, some chasing scenes and tension, this is your puppy.

Had a major homesick feeling today. Annual skating show in Toronto aired today, with host Kurt Browning and the awesome fun Canadian band, Bare Naked Ladies. I got a little homesick. Watched the whole thing wrapped in a blanket drinking tea. You're not really Canadian unless you have a twinkle in yer eye when it comes to skating. The Great Canadian Tripod can be seen far and wide...it starts from 2yrs old on skates with a hockey stick. Bare Naked Ladies represent the Canadian spirit, funny, energetic and melodic, you're a dick if you don't kinda just enjoy them. I've met them a number of times and they are the nicest folks, plus they love music and they love performing. They have brought international attention to obscure Canadian songwriters. I was bartending in 2000 near their recording studio and they came in for lunch all the time, they were so cool and friendly and great attitudes. (yes, they tipped really well too) If you want to watch some of the skating show, or even the whole thing, go here. (John Zimmerman is so fricking hot, it's crazy!)

Saw a shocking movie. Death Of A President. Now I don't believe in censorship, and I am pretty openminded but this movie is really almost in bad taste. The premise rides on the assisination of the current President of America. It is quite disturbing. Other than that...it is very effective at portraying the kind of racism and fear some of the dominant culture has towards Middle Eastern people, even if they were born in America. The story is told through fake doc style using securitty cameras, interviews and newsclips. This makes for an innovation we haven't seen the extent of until this movie. It feels like Blair Witch Project meets Manchurian Candidate. Film buffs must see.

New Rose Hotel directed by Abel Ferrera adapted from story by William Gibson. It would hardly seem possible to mess up a movie based on Cyberpunk writer Gibson, but it was done. Movie slow, Christopher Walken is still worth seeing as he's always good. Movie put me to sleep, which sucked because this is one of my favourite genres: other Cyberpunk films.

The best show on tv wrapped up last week. The Wire. If you haven't followed the last four years of this brilliant program, just go rent the first season. It's sick. If there is any remote titch kind of truth to the fiction...then we are in a world of shit. Some interesting music notes regarding the program? The opening song, Down In The Hole, is written by Tom Waits, and various bands or musicians cover it each season. Steve Earle made a breathtaking cameo in season finale and Paul Weller had a cover of a Dr. John song, I Walk On Guilded Splinters. Are you watching this show, or are you down in the hole?

9 comments:

Gardenia said...

Sorry you are homesick. It is a particular malady - not much fun, for me an aching of the heart. That is always a good time to see an "escape" movie. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it.

Being as I'm home, I can browse the library here and see what they have - I tease them that they should rent them out!

thehealingroom said...

I love Bare Naked Ladies too. The boys and I met them once and they were totally down to earth and happy people.
I am glad that you confirm that and that they are good tippers.
As for The Wire, we get limtited cable as an attempt to save money. But thanks for the tip, I will consieder renting the first season. (or downloading it)

mister anchovy said...

wow, Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Dr. John....right up my alley.

mister anchovy said...

this is so exciting, I can comment no problem on your blog again...wahooooooooooooooo!

Wandering Coyote said...

I missed the Kurt Browning special. Who is this Zimmerman guy?

Speaking of mockumentaries, I just saw Borat. I highly recommend it. I've heard of Death of a President and it's accompanying controversy. Cannot comment as have not seen it. Perhaps my brother will download it for me.

Red said...

Bruce Willis... man, if I never watch another of his films, it will be too soon! We watched Tears of the Sun the other night, and it was so bad, I actually felt compelled to stick it out (plus, all the guys in his platoon were foxy! Yum... * didn't complain, since Monica Bellucci was in the film too).

* (asterisk) said...

I can comment again, too. Obviously was a Blogger fuck-up. I emailed them to tell them about it a couple days back.

Really interesting to see you mention that maybe DOAP was in poor taste. I kind of hadn't even considered it, y'know. Well, I had, but I hadn't, if you can get what I mean.

Hey, it's great to be able to comment again!

Underground Baker said...

I guess I live in a hole. Its not 6 feet yet.

Underground Baker said...

PS I can't even comment on your homesickness...exactly how many miles away are you?!!!!!

generated by sloganizer.net