Sunday, July 08, 2007

Madonna:

An awesome version of La Isla Bonita performed with the New York punk gypsy band GOGOL BORDELO who have been described as: "a bit like The Clash having a fight with The Pogues in Eastern Europe."

In an interview with NPR, frontman Eugene Hütz cites Jimi Hendrix and Parliament-Funkadelic as among the band's musical influences[citation needed]. Nikolai Gogol, the band's namesake, was an ideological influence because he "smuggled" Ukrainian culture into European literary society, and Gogol Bordello wants to "smuggle [their] music into the English speaking world." One goal of the band is to spread gypsy music to an audience that would not normally be exposed to it. They list Manu Chao, Fugazi, Zvuki Mu, Sasha Kolpakov, Rootsman, and The Clash as influences as well."

8 comments:

mister anchovy said...

That was a lot of fun. There are some really fine and crazy balkan players happening these days, who are mostly unknown here in North America. Some of the bands I've heard recently feature some terrifically skilled musicians.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of both you and Mr. Anchovy when I watched that madona performance, but mostly I just thought, madonna you deserve to be a superstar. I loved her set.

Candy Minx said...

I'm glad you took a sec to watch it Mister Anchovy. I bet it would have been perfect with an added acordion!

Gogol Bordelo has been around for a long long time so I think it's cool Madonna highlighted her friends.

L.M. There were some terrific performances yesterday, Dave Matthews, Nunatuk, Alicia Keyes, Foo Fighters just killed...but I was glad Madonna was so good and she used a lot of dancers. She puts ona good show! And she seemed to have written a song for the concert event.

Anonymous said...

Alicia keyes was the other high point.

From Salon:

"Alicia Keys, the breakaway star of the event, really torched the roof off with her Category 5, gale-force radiance. Great performing artists can maintain poise while seemingly losing all control: Keys literally quivers from the wild waves of supersoul rippling through her. Her backup vocals on "Gimme Shelter" redeemed the otherwise limp Keith Urban and, if hooked up to a generator, could have powered all of the dryers in Dubai."

FOUR DINNERS said...

do they wash windscreens at traffic lights in their spare time? uh...just a thought. that's what eastern european gypsies do over here.

They are bloody good aren't they

me said...

gogol bordelo were at glastonbury this year and absolutely rocked!

START WEARING PURPLE!!!

indeed!

* (asterisk) said...

I first heard of Gogol Bordello from the film Everything Is Illuminated. The main guy acts in the film and does a good job. Then "Start Wearing Purple" plays over the end credits, if I recall correctly.

Underground Baker said...

I was wondering where I had seen that fellow...I hadn't seen the band before, but I had been sure I had seen him in a movie.

That was a great little performance.

generated by sloganizer.net