Saturday, June 20, 2009

What I've Been Up To This Week


Last week I had to leave the house really early and Stagg was still sleeping. I often go out the back alley and often...there is some really good garbage out there. UYep, I'm a dumpster diver. It was about 7:30 and there was anawesome piece of kitchen furniture. No way I could carry it up stairs by myself...and plus, even if I could I was in a hurry I had an appointment. Rats. Good bye cool furniture. When I got home about 8 hours later I get upstairs and there in the studio is the top piece of the furniture set...and Stagg has painted it!!! (see two photos belw) I was so surprised and told him how much I liked it. Great minds think alike because he saw it too a couple hours later when he woke up! I told him I was bummed we couldn't get the bottom piece....and it was amazing he was able to get this. There are tons of trucks that salvage grabage in Chicago. You see them all the time collecting metal and old cast-off furniture. We went out and looked in the alley and the major bottom section of the furniture was still there! Yippee kay yah! Sp we hauled it upstairs. Stagg painted the top half...and I am working on the bottom section then we are putting them together. That's Lil Wayne on the MTV channel on tv if you're wondering...








Above...you can see I'm painting over this aspect...because I made it too big..it is a rip off of Da Vinci's Lady With An Ermine and I'm making the head a potrait of Stagg...you know that song by "Grits Ain't Groceries...and Mona Lisa was a man"...written by Little Milton in 1969. I'll post a few more pics of the progression tomorrow as I work on his portrait tonight...

9 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

That's a really cool piece!

Gardenia said...

This is so wonderful! I just love it! Love the theme, your idea! You and Stagg flow together so well! I too am a dumpster diver - grandma trained me well.

Jason Messinger said...

Cool Piece.
Hey, Sent you & Anthony an Evite fpr a party next weekend, don't know if I have the most current email. Don't have any email for Anthony!
Look for it, and shoot me your most current emails at JasonMessingerArt@hotmail.com
thanks!
Jason

tweetey30 said...

That is awsome.. Cool. Well off to work in twenty minutes. Talk to you soon.

X. Dell said...

Maybe it's the case whee you both understand the needs of the apartment because you live in it every day.

Um, I see that you've noted that someone has declared this accordion month. Are you that someone? If so, what's the significance of the accordion to you? Have I missed something?

BTW, you described the musical origins of the Vent du Nord perfectly. To my ear, though, the Irish part stands out most.

thehealingroom said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful romantic story. What a beautiful find!
I too, am a dumpster diver and now regularly put out free stuff at my driveway and have invited friends and neighbours to add their stuff to it anytime. the average wait for a new home is 4 days.
peace and love,

Underground Baker said...

Nice diving candy and stagg!

Looks great!

Janet said...

dude, you guys rock!!! Love your artistic ways!

zydeco fish said...

Wow, nice find.

generated by sloganizer.net