Monday, August 20, 2012

Cult Character Maker, R.I.P.

 I'm just stunned about the news of Tony Scott ending his own life. You know I can't even imagine. As much as it's tragic when a young person dies...isn't it a different kind of sorrow when an older person dies by their own hand? It's like...whatever life is throwing at you....haven't you got kind of used to it yet? Haven't you got your head around that now? I guess it contests the stereotype of wisdom and age. I am so very sad to hear that tony Scott has died, and even sadder thinking about his family and children...and that we won't have any more movies made by him. I have been a huge fanatic fan of his movies...ever since seeing The Hunger. The Hunger pretty much was one of the most influencial films on my life and on the life of many of friends who I used to go clubbing with...it's kind of the ultimate "dance club movie".No self-respecting goth hasn't obsessed on the clothes, the soundtrack and the make-up in that movie.
 There are some directors that once they make 3 movies I like...I will see ALL of their movies and Tony Scott was such a director. I've not only seen all his movies a couple of times, there are many I've seen dozens of times. His movies contained some of the most notable characters in movie history and it seems best to let the characters represent how much I love his films that have become cult favourites over the last thre edecades.
 His most recent movie was Unstoppable and like many contained disaster movies I love seeing how a film works out the puzzles involved in restrictions of the plot. I thought this was a very well-done story and action film.
 The gorgeous glamourous Catherine Denueve in The Hunger And of course...David Bowie. Move over Twilight fans...these are fucking vampires.

 I saw Spy Games on the U.S. east coast in a little seaside town with my sister. We were on a  raod trip after staying Washington D.C. and working our way down the east coast...and it seemed fitting that we see this movie after hanging out in D.C. a spy capital. I became somewhat obsessed with this movie as it is a study of contemporary spying with old school spying. Redford does everything by tedious tricky basic spying. It's really a wonderful movie...top of it's genre.

 Just character after character made watching a Scott movie a delight...Gary Oldman as some kind of twisted dreadlock gangster. Christopher Walken has a face off in one of film histories most fammous showdowns...with Dennis Hopper.

Denzil Washington has a classic tragic hero role in Man On Fire.

I saw Enemy Of The State with a friend in Vancouver who grew up with Ridley and Tony Scott. She went to school with them and was a lifelong friend of them especially Tony Scott. She once rode all over Los Angeles on the back of a motorcycle with her old school buddy once and I shall hold this image in my head of an artist who in my perspective had accomplished so much in film and seemed to live a life of fun and adventure too. It's so sad to think someone with his talent, lifestyle, experience and success could not find peace of mind...but it is also a reminder that those things are not the source of peace of mind.

"Life is serious but art is fun" The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net