Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Asheville, North Carolina

A month ago...I met up with a bunch of folks from an online bookclub I participate with...for many years. We nominate several contemporary novels and classic novels, then vote on a dozen to read once a month and discuss. We've had some amazing discussions over the years and lots of terrific book recommendations have been shared...this book club introduced me to the astounding J.M Coetzee for example. This mansion is America's largest residence...built in 1894ish by the Vanderbuilt family...yep related to Gloria and her sone Anderson Cooper. It's on ajillion acres, has a resort, horseback riding a winery and a table that once held Napoleopon's heart. several movies have been filmed here including Being There and Forest Gump.


Barb and Sherry on the massive balconyShad and I met about 8 years ago at the Cormac McCarthy forum...and he also participated at Constant Reader book web board for a while...Shad and I have e-mailed each other on and off for almost this entire time, while I was in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto...and he was near Lake Erie and at school in Alberqueque(oops I better look that up) and we got together one evening in Asheville and I met his wife and new baby son...we checked out some local brews and it was wonderful after all these years to meet in person. Here is Shad's blog...
Katy and Barb.
Lynn...
Our hosts in Asheville, Sherry and Tom.

4 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

Look at you, rocking hard in your MCR shirt. Rock on!

Candy Minx said...

Yep. good catch *...it's got a scary wof on it too...

Gardenia said...

I've heard Asheville is beautiful. Sounds like a successful meet!

Shad Marsh said...

my wife sure takes a crappy picture...but other than than glad you had fun. My basement flooded during that rain.

generated by sloganizer.net