Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Somewhere In Texas




Me and oil rigs...


Ranches, oil rigs, camel farms and a finally a pal from one of my online book clubs...Chris. We met through the Cormac McCarthy forum and I was going to be in Texas and Chris is such an interesting reader, talks a lot about philosophy...I just had to meet him. Chris also contributed a very cool precis for our zine a few weeks ago with a gnostic reading of the tv show, Northern Exposure...so some of you may have read his contribution in the zine we mailed out last month. He is a great guy, teaches high school in Texas and I met many of his students and right away you can tell they admire and are inspired by their teacher...now what a great thing to see in person...such a positive influence on kids! Since I have been filming I keep forgetting to take still photos...so some of these sure aren't as good as the footage I've been getting, but you get a gist of the mileage involved. I should add up how many miles I've covered in the past month...

It's easy to forget the wonderful energy of young people...the students in his classes were so funny asking lots of questions about Canada...they were very curious about us showing up to visit (my friend Tonya drove me out to his school) after we took the first pic the kids shouted out "put your arm around her" "have a hug" so that is why we have the silly grins on our faces in the second pic. One girl asked if I was a spy, another asked if we said "eh" all the time (yes we do...) another asked if I was going to put Chris on tv...it was so delightful, they also said he has read every book ever written, that he was crazy, that he makes them read lots...it was over the top.

1 comment:

Gardenia said...

What fun - what a great time meeting people - yes, I love being around young people - and kids -

generated by sloganizer.net