Friday, September 19, 2008

Some Great Articles and Dedications

I can't remember when I was so particularly sad when an artist died or a celebrity. My feeling of loss has been all week and is up there with my mourning for Kurt Cobain and Princess Di.

Columnist Mike Morford at the San Francisco Chronicle posted a group of save-worthy links about David Foster Wallace.

Click around.


Here is Time magazine.


Here is the Guardian UK.


Here is DFW's delightful 2006 New York Times piece on Roger Federer


and also "Host," his fantastic 2005 piece about right-wing hate radio, from the Atlantic.

Here is Wallace interviewed on Charlie Rose from about ten years ago.


And here is a huge obit roundup on the DFW fan site, Howling Fantods.


This one is tough...McSweeney's has a terrific page of memories and tributes from fellow writers and former students of Wallace's from Pomona College.


DFW's now-portentous 2005 commencement address at Ohio's Kenyon College is being re-posted everywhere, and is just terrifically worthy of your time, if you're so inclined.


Finally, Harper's magazine has graciously posted every DFW piece they ever ran, in PDF, including the famed "Shipping Out." Reading it again now, the reality seems even truer, even more heartbreaking, than ever: The world of words just won't be the same without him.

4 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

I love Roger F!! So glad he's back in form.

Candy Minx said...

Check out the commencement speech..."Ohio's Kenyon College" link...Stagg said he read it today going home...and was very impressed.

X. Dell said...

I read about Wallace's suicide earlier this week. I have to admit that I never read any of his novels. Reading reviews of them (I know, not a good way to decide on what to read), I didn't feel any inclination to. But, as they say, different strokes.

In all three cases (Wallace, Cobain, Spencer) their passing was sudden, their esteem profound. So when you put it in those terms, I can understand where you're coming from.

Underground Baker said...

Hi Candy,
Just read a tribute to wallace by groen in the paper today...(I'm out of the loop and only realized this morning.
Very sad...
Thanks for posting all the links.

generated by sloganizer.net